Tuesday, January 14, 2014

"ye have done it unto me"

This life is full of opportunities to serve and to lift others around us. What we do with those opportunities is what matters. The Lord has said "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" but He has also said "Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me" (Matthew 25:40,45). The Lord has made it very clear in those verses that when we serve those around us, or when we ignore those around us, it is as though we were doing the same unto Him. I know that as we do our best to take care of those in need and to care for those who struggle through this life we will be doing the work of the Lord. The Book of Mormon teaches that "when ye are in the service of your fellowbeings ye are only in the service of your God" (Mosiah 2:17). I have had many opportunities in my life to serve others, there have been times when giving of myself was really hard to do, or I felt inadequate to serve the way that was asked, but always with the help of the Savior was I able to help those around me who were in need. 

My challenge to everyone who reads this blog is to find someone today who you can serve. Find a simple act of kindness that you can extend to one in need. I promise that as you serve and afterwards you will feel the Holy Spirit testify to you that what you did is right. You will know that the Spirit has touched you if you feel the fruits of the Spirit which are "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, [and] temperance" (Galatians 5:22-23). The Lord loves you. As you serve His children you will show Him how much you love Him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment